- Get Involved
- Visioning Summits
- New! STORE
When I first read the book upon moving to SF in 2003 my literal first reaction was closing it shut…for the first page had my name on it…how amazing!
So when I saw that one of my acquaintances (now a wonderful friend) Paradox was starting to work on creating this into reality, I knew that I wanted to be a part of it.
What I have realized from the get-go is that in order to really create The Fifth Sacred Thing in an enduring way, it needs to be an immersive storyworld.
For that end it needs to be developed cross platform and channels, to get the audience involved, engaged, excited and into action.
Transmedia Storytelling has been a buzzword for the past few years.
It has some amazing followers and gurus including the wonderful Jeff Gomez, who says of transmedia:
“Transmedia narrative is the technique of conveying messages, concepts and themes to a mass audience through systemic and concerted use of multiple media platforms. The implementation is designed to engage audience members individually, validating their involvement and positively reinforcing personal participation in the narrative. The result is intense loyalty, long-term engagement and a desire to share the experience.”
Jeff has also been the champion of bringing Transmedia to the Producers Guild of America.
So how do we make an immersive Transmedia Project out of The Fifth Sacred Thing?
In order to create a convincing storyworld, TFST will embark on different levels of audience engagement — thus creating different audience touch or entry points to the story. As seen in the diagram above, each offering will have a different level of engagement with the audience.
We are aiming at a diverse audience and expect them to each engage with our story in the way that makes sense to them and enable them to discover the storyworld in their own way.
- 2011: we executed a Kickstarter campaign to start working on the pre-production process – with that we began the process of the storyworld.
- Social media – engaging the audience with the process of the production.
- Permaculture summits – Starhawk has been leading these all over the country.
- Green festivals workshops – making many such appearances throughout the year to raise awareness and gain support through a growing “choir” of fans
- Legacy Projects – create gardens, art and a sustainable community long after the film is completed.
- Blogging characters – from 2013 we will start creating blogs by characters to establish their story arc.
- concentriCity – a MSO (massively social online game) that helps players measure their personal influence on their health and environment. It will feature side characters from the storyworld and develop their story arc.
- Feature film – which will tell the full story!
- Video game – which will develop the storyworld and engage the audience + educate them how to create the world of the future, today.
The strength of these techniques is that together, they create a world where our audience can become part of the storyworld, help shape it create it, grow with it… and hopefully, help make the reality of the future ecotopia.
Donate via Paypal
WATCH: "One Act of Courage"
New promotional video for The Fifth Sacred Thing film in development, narrated by Olympia Dukakis.
LISTEN: Fifth Sacred Thing Music
Support Our Project!
Tagsart artists Bird birth book celebrations change City Tours 2048 collaboration community dedication diversity dreams Earth Earth Activist Training energy Fifth Sacred Thing freedom fundraising growth imagination interaction interviews Jessica Perlstein Kickstarter Layil Umbralux life light Madrone Maya movie music pagans permaculture press quotes Rena Jones seeds Starhawk The Fifth Sacred Thing The Spiral Dance Update video vision war